Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default Additional Images Not Showing

Hi,

I have the following settings:

Configuration>Images>Number of Additional Images>10

Catalogue>Product Type>Product-General{edit layout}>Show Product Additional Images=1

However, having uploaded the images via FTP they are not showing or even attempting to show.

I have tried all sorts, even created sub directories in the product folder via FTP and uploaded the images into there too.

Help?!?!?

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Additional Images Not Showing

Give us an EXAMPLE, (for one of your products) of what you have called:

1. a main product image's NAME
    2. the NAMES of the additional images associated with that main image...

(I'll bet your naming convention does not follow the correct format!)
    20 years a Zencart User

Plugin Contributions

Hi,

Perhaps you could take a minute to explain exactly what I need to do? I have read a few threads on this and they all say to name the main image product.jpg and the additional images product01.jpg...

OR MUST IT BE product_01.jpg ???

here are the file names I'm using right now which do not work:

Also, do I really need three sets of images for small, medium and large? Can't I just use the large images for all three settings and have them sized accordingly depending on which view is requested?

Plugin Contributions

You're PARTLY on the right track...

Look here: https://www.zen-cart.com/tutorials/index.php?article=58
    20 years a Zencart User

Plugin Contributions

I've answered my own question! They MUST be named:

Which begs my next question: How do I get the additional pics to align nicely to the right of the main picture with the base lines at the same level:

http://www.dystynction.com/index.php...roducts_id=180

Plugin Contributions

Layout of the Product Info page can be governed by tweaking three elements:-

1. tpl_product_info_display.php (in your templates section - original is in includes/templates/template_default/templates/ - and you will save the edited copy to includes/templates/YOUR_TEMPLATE/templates/). Here, you can shift around the various elements that are encased in the <!-- BOF> and <!-- EOF> comment tags.

2. The stylesheet is used to fine-tune positioning of elements, so once you have stuff in the ORDER you want it to display (via tpl_product_info_display.php) you can position them on-screen using the stylesheet(s).

3. Settings in your admin panel - pay particular attention to the image sizes... In your case, you are displaying the additional images too large for them to fit next to the main image in a single line.
    20 years a Zencart User

Plugin Contributions

Thanks for the input schoolboy, I was up into the wee hours last night trying to figure out Zen Cart as this is the first I've used it and I have a lot to learn.

I have reduced the number of additional images to 6 max and will make it a rule of to never exceed 6 additional images.

I have a 24" monitor and my laptop has a big screen and http://www.dystynction.com/index.php...&products_id=1 looks quite good on those.

How does it look now on your screen?

Plugin Contributions

I have a 20" monitor, and with the browser set to full width I still have to scroll horizontally. Horizontal scrolling, is, according to the experts, the worst thing you can do to site visitors.

Are you really going to leave the site that wide?

If so, and if it succeeds commercially, it'll be the first site on the planet to do so at that width. A lofty goal, if that's what you're trying to do.

Rob

Cape Town & London (depends on the season)
    Plugin Contributions

I agree with rstevenson...

Unfortunately, you have to think about how CUSTOMERS are likely to view your site, rather than by what turns you on.

MANY computer users still use older monitors (not many wide-screens around), so you have to consider that many (potential) customers will be accessing your site on older equipment.

Don't ever allow horizontal scrolling to occur. It's a real no-no for e-commerce and a sure-fire way to chase visitors away.

At the end of the day, people are at your site because they have a good idea of what they are after, so you need to make sure that:

1. Your site is fast. (Don't have hundreds of sideboxes - focus on PRODUCT promotion).
    2. The ergonomics are clear and simple (navigational elements are easily understood)
    3. Products are easy to find (good category structure and naming conventions).
    4. Images are absolutely professional, clean and crisp - and large enough to see the product (or are enlargeable, as indeed ZC images can do)
    5. Product descriptions are clear, accurate, easy to read...
    6. The checkout process is clear and straightforward.

Plugin Contributions

To which I would add: sometimes simplicity is best. To take my own sites as humble examples (while realizing they're not to everyone's taste)...

There are only 3 images in my sites which are not product images -- the site seal at the bottom, the logo top-left and the tagline top-right. Every other image on both sites is product, because images are what we sell. And every visual element of the UI is kept deliberately simple so as not to detract from that focus. And, to stay slightly on topic, our sites fit in all but the smallest of screens without any horizontaal scrolling required.

Enough preaching.

I look forward to seeing the final result of all of the posts about this site -- some day.

Rob

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast